Dry Eye Syndrome
What are dry eyes?
Your eyes depend on the presence of a tear film to provide constant moisture and lubrication to maintain vision and comfort.
Tears are a combination of:
• WATER for moisture
• OILS for lubrication and to prevent evaporation of tear liquid
• MUCUS for even spreading of tears on the surface of the eye; and
• ANTIBODIES and SPECIAL PROTEINS for resistance to infection
These components are secreted by special glands located around the eye. When there is an imbalance or deficiency in this tear system, or when the tears evaporate too quickly, a person may experience DRY EYE.
When tears do not lubricate the eye enough, you may experience the following:
• A GRITTY SENSATION
• BLURRING OF VISION
• LIGHT SENSITIVITY
• DIFFICULTY WEARING CONTACTS
• EXCESS TEARS RUNNING DOWN THE CHEEKS
This happens when the eye isn't getting enough lubrication. The eye sends a distress signal for more lubrication. In response, the eye is flooded with emergency tears. However, these tears are mostly water and do not have the lubricating qualities or the rich makeup of normal tears.
What causes dry eyes?
The majority of patients with DRY EYE have chronic inflammation (swelling) in the tear glands that line the eyelid and in the conjunctiva (the thin lining on the inside of the eyelids and the front part of the eye). This chronic inflammation can permanently damage the tear gland tissue to the point that treatment becomes ineffective.
In addition to an imbalance in the tear-flow system of the eye, DRY EYE can be caused by the drying out of the tear film. This can be complicated by dry air created by air conditioning, heat, or other environmental conditions.
Many patients also have OCULAR ROSACEA (meibomian gland dysfunction), an abnormality of the glands on the edge of the eyelid that are supposed to produce the oil to prevent evaporation of the tears. When patients have both dry eye and ocular rosacea, not only do they produce too few tears, but the tears they do make evaporate too quickly.
In some cases, dry eye is caused by another disease or condition, like rheumatoid arthritis or systemic lupus erythematosus. If this is the case, the systemic disease should also be treated in order to relieve the dry eyes.
Salem Eye Professionals
is an approved provider of:
PROKERA® biologic corneal bandage devices are used by eye doctors around the world to heal and treat eye diseases such as dry eye syndrome, keratitis, recurrent corneal erosions, filamentary keratitis, persistent epithelial defects, neurotrophic corneas, herpetic ulcers, and many other ocular surface diseases.
Watch the video to learn more........
Eye Care for Kids
Darek Huggett, OD & Associates
1469 Capitol Street NE, Suite 100
Salem, Oregon 97301, USA
Save time by filling out the
prior to your appointment.
To download: CLICK HERE
IMPORTANT IF YOU ARE USING INSURANCE
When scheduling your appointment please provide:
• Insurance company name
• Insurance I.D. number
• Group number if applicable
• Primary insurance holder name and date of birth
(if different than the person being scheduled)
Monday – Thursday 9:30am - 5:30pm
Friday: 9:30am - 5:00pm
Saturday 10:00am - 2:00pm
NOW THE GOOD NEWS!
Dr. Huggett specializes in diagnosing and treating DRY EYE Syndrome.
Salem Eye Professionals is a CLIA CERTIFIED LAB
Simply put, this means we employ state-of-art testing procedures to diagnose and treat your specific DRY EYE related issues.
FAST - PAINLESS - ACCURATE!
Our DIAGNOSTIC LAB uses only your eye's tear drops for testing.
• Painless, non-invasive tear sample used in test
• Correct diagnosis and treatment can be prescribed on first visit
• More targeted and effective treatment for eye discomfort
We offer six different tear tests for thorough diagnostics:
• ATD® lactoferrin for DRY EYE caused by an IMBALANCE OF AQUEOUS FLUID
• ATD® IgE for DRY EYE caused by OCULAR ALLERGIES
• RPS® Inflammadry for DRY EYE caused by OCULAR INFLAMMATION
• Schirmer's Test for DRY EYE caused by IMPROPER TEAR VOLUME
• Sjö Test for DRY EYE caused by SJÖGREN'S SYNDROME
• Tear Film Breakup Time Test for DRY EYE caused by IMPROPER TEAR STABILITY